Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Favorite Little Reader







So today was Celebrate My Favorite Things Day at the MFT SCS forum. I am a bit late to the party but have spent the last hour or so making a cute gift box!! I know it took WAY too long but it was so much fun! I made this little gift box/basket for a new baby. I have 3 friends expecting and I can't wait to give it the next little one!! My favorite gift to give is books. They are the most priceless gifts, in my opinion. This box holds 5 board books. The box itself is something I use to use with my students back in my teaching days....I kinda miss being in front of 30 12 year olds!! The box is made from 2 8 1/2" x 11" pieces of paper although I used transparencies for this one.

Details: I started with 2 transparencies. Each one was folded in half (hamburger style). After that, I opened them up, turned them 90 degrees and then scored them 3 inches up. I then scored each of the edges by 1/2". I ended up with 2 identically scored papers, attached the 1/2" tabs to make the box, cut each of the corners up to the 3 inch scored line and then folded the flaps up to make the bottom of the box. This box is big, about 5" across and 6" high. I had some fun with those animals too! I used the heart & bird from the Always set and a stamp from the little pieces set to make a pattern a piece of paper before stamping them on it. I added some extra color with markers on the giraffe.

Recipe:
Stamps: Its A Jungle Out There (MFT), Always, Little Pieces
Paper: whisper white, tempting turquoise, gable green, transparencies
Ink: regal rose, basic black, whisper white
Accessories: turquoise ribbon, celery ribbon, rose ribbon, scallop punch, 1 3/8" circle punch, 1 1/4" circle punch, 3/4" circle punch, white gel pen, pink & turquoise & green brads, stampin write markers, alpha rain dots (Cloud 9)

11 comments:

Debby Winters said...

What a great gift this is! I am with you on the book thing. It is the most valuable gift you can give to any child.
I love how you did the animals on the sides!

Sara said...

this is really cute! Love all the details!

Dawn♥ said...

HOLY Cow Maren this is soooo CUTE! Girl you are always coming up with the cutest little ideas. Love it and thank you so very much for sharing it with us!

Jimi said...

So cute! Thanks for posting this Maren.

Melissa said...

LOVE this box!! So cute and an adorable idea! Think I'm going to have to try one out for myself. But first. . .I need to go buy some transparencies!

Thanks for sharing!

Angel said...

The box is a VERY special gift. I know it will be cherished! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Adorable! I agree, books are a fab gift for anyone of any age! Thanks for sharing great projects and the great, detailed photos that you take of them! You are very talented!

Andrea, said...

These are so cute

~Denise Lynn~ said...

Maren these are great! Thanks for all the details too. What a cute idea! ")

Cassie said...

This is DARLING!! You HAVE TO SUBMIT THIS SOMEWHERE!!! I agree that books are the best gifts - no matter the age!! In fact, I remember you posted on my blog that if I submitted, you would submit. So I am going RIGHT NOW to find out how to submit my cards.

Sandy said...

Oh my godness, what a lovely idea. Gorgeous box. Very pretty.